Celebrities Bring Diversity to Mind
Creative Minds – Come Out to Eliminate Stigma
Whether an individual is a celebrity in the media, at work, at home…or simply a celebrity in his or her own right, every individual deserves to be honored. Those who are in the media often lead the way, because it is generally “safer” for them to do so…at least from a financial perspective. Their voices tend to impact the public much more significantly than those whose achievements are less recognizable.
Our ultimate goal is to include all who wish, and deserve to be recognized for their achievements…despite the challenges and frustrations the face living with a mental disorder. In order to maximize the success of our campaign to end the stigma of mental “illness,” we will begin by presenting those most widely recognized.
- Profiles of Hope: Mariel Hemingway – Known for her career as an actress, and as one of Ernest Hemingway’s granddaughters. Mariel is an outspoken advocate for mental health. She produced a documentary, detailing her personal story, called Running from Crazy, which shows her journey to find answers to the challenges her family has faced, including substance use, mental illness and seven suicides.
- Wayne Brady Opens Up About His Depression: ‘I Had a Complete Breakdown’ – Depression is real. Debilitating. Robin Williams’ suicide motivated Brady to open up. ET Online.
- Monica Seles Details Her Binge Eating Disorder – Getting a Grip – awareness
Tennis champion, Monica Seles, shares her story about Binge Eating Disorder (B.E.D.) – BED is the most common eating disorder in the United States. Stigma.
- Colin Farrell is more creative being sober and happy – “I was terrified that whatever my capacity was as an actor would disappear when I got sober…And that’s nonsense.”
- Robin Williams and the ‘Stigma’ of Mental Illness – Diversity Inc.
- John Travolta, Dyslexia and the Oscars
- Suicide, Depression, and Mental Illness: Celebrities Aren’t Immune – Everyday Health
- Vince Vaughn Just Says No To Ritalin With ‘Thumbsucker’ – Learning Disability, Ritalin – MTV News
- Creativity, Madness and Drugs – Scientific American
- Owen Wilson’s Suicide Attempt: Celebrities Can Feel Suicidal Too – Mental Health Daily
- “Harry Potter” Star Gives Dyspraxia Advice – Daniel Radcliffe
The Current Cast of Characters
Please share links to public information regarding other celebrities, who have personally “come out,” that we have not included to date. Current Cast of Characters
Be Counted! Illuminate Mental Diversity at Work.
There is safety (AND strength) in numbers. “All for one, and one for all.”
Suggestions, feedback, comments, and questions welcomed at MindingDiversity@aol.com
© October 2015